“The Thing” Takes Shape Again
The movie is a prequel to the 1982 John Carpenter film (also called “The Thing”). The events of the movie takes place three days before the events of the John Carpenter film. A Norwegian scientific team discovers what seems to be a dead alien creature frozen in a crashed extraterrestrial spaceship buried in the ice of Antarctica. Paleontologist Kate Lloyd (Mary Elizabeth Winstead) joins the crew’s pilot, Carter (Joel Edgerton) in trying to kill the “revived alien” that can assimilate and mimic any creature it digests.
In 1982, John Carpenter’s “The Thing” received very little fanfare at the box office but has grown into a “cult classic”.
When I saw John Carpenter’s “The Thing” (1982), I thought the effects (no CGI), storyline and acting were excellent. But the reason why I think it was a box office “no show” was because people were flocking to see “E.T.” at the time. This is probably the answer to why there was no sequel to “The Thing”.
If “The Thing” (2011) stays true to the “mood” and pace of John Carpenter’s “The Thing” (1982), this may well become a very successful box office sleeper. The movie is set to be released in October 2011.
- Trailer for The Thing Prequel Starring Mary Elizabeth Winstead and Joel Edgerton (shoppingblog.com)
- Another Movie Trailer of the Day (thedailywh.at)
- New Poster Design for THE THING Prequel (geektyrant.com)
- ‘The Thing’ Trailer and Poster (slashfilm.com)
- First Trailer for THE THING Starring Mary Elizabeth Winstead and Joel Edgerton (collider.com)
- UK: ‘The Thing’ – The Official Trailer Has Landed (loupdargent.com)
- Official Image Gallery Now Open for The Thing (dreadcentral.com)
- Meet the New Thing (Trailer) Same as the Old Thing (screencrave.com)
- The Thing takes the form of a movie trailer in this new clip (digitaltrends.com)
- ‘The Thing’ Trailer (screenphiles.com)
- “The Thing” Takes Shape Again (showcasesuccess.wordpress.com)
- WATCH: The Thing Trailer! (businessinsider.com)